Crime remains an ongoing concern for the Town of Swan River. We request all residents to do their part when they witness or are victims of a crime.
PARTICIPATE IN THE JUSTICE SYSTEM
- Report all crimes in person or by telephone at 204-734-3454 or at RCMP - Online Crime Reporting
- Give a statement and be willing to stand as a witness.
- Victim Impact Statements and Community Impact Statements are ways that victims and the community can have a voice in the Justice system. The court must take these statements into account during bail hearings and for sentencing offenders. This helps with the prosecution of criminals.
For more information on how to submit a statement
- Swan River Court Office – 201 4th Ave S, Swan River, Manitoba
- Manitoba Justice Victim Services: Toll free – 1-866-484-2846
THE SAFER COMMUNITIES AND NEIGHBOURHOODS ACT
Are you aware of the Safer Communities and Neighborhoods Act?
This act works by holding property owners accountable for threatening or disturbing activities that regularly take place on their property. The act refers to activities that are ongoing, not those happening occasionally.
The process starts when one or more residents files a complaint with the Director of Law Enforcement.
- This process cannot be initiated by law enforcement (RCMP, By-Law Officer, Ect.)
- The complaint is kept confidential. The identity of those who file it cannot be revealed at any time.
The director may launch an investigation(search warrant) if there is evidence to support the claim; where without the neighborhood complaint, a search warrant may not be approved.
For more information, contact Manitoba Justice Public Safety Investigations Phone (Winnipeg) 204-945-3475 Toll free outside Winnipeg 1-800-954-9361
Manitoba Justice Victim Services:
Toll free – 1-866-484-2846
Protective Orders and Peace Bond
March 17, 2022 -Town Hall Recording
Town Hall - FAQ - Click here for the Town's FAQ on Crime